Monday, August 19, 2013

The 90%, or Happy First Day of School

First days. They come in many forms. Including today I've experienced 6 first days of school. I'm an emotionally expressive mom, so yeah, each time I shed a few tears. (And no, not just because summer's over and we no longer get to sleep in. Wink-wink!)

Sending Grant off to first grade came easier than I expected. (It didn't even really register that he was moving to a full day until last night!) Grant's such a sociable little kid. He loves people and you can often find him with his arms around two other buddies. This Sunday at church he came in for prayer with arms around Gordo & Diego. I suppose people see his curls and his striking blue eyes first but I see his loving heart. He's my cuddle-bug and although he's less likely to kiss me on the lips these days he lovingly offers me his cheek instead.

Dani and third grade seem like a wonderful pair. She (Grant, too!) is at a new school this year and had already made a friend named Eden at the school's summer camp several weeks ago. Last night at dinner Dani said she was a little bit nervous about whom she would play with at recess but I reminded her that she would have Eden. When I dropped Dani off in the 3rd grade line, she was with Eden, and I heard Dani ask her little friend "Would you like to sit by me?" Eden nodded, smiling. Danielle, our gifted artist and poet, looks forward to art, drama and choir this year.

Luke. The boy who may be growing up the fastest. Firstborns often do, I suppose. Luke looked forward to having a friend from church in his class at school this year. He also offered to be an "ambassador" for another little boy named Joshua who would be new to Luke's school. Luke loves knowledge and loves to share it. So if he can show Joshua around school and educate him on all the haps, well, that is where Luke most definitely shines. And like his dad, Luke is already a gifted percussionist and we look forward to lots of drums, bells, marimba and vibraphone this year.

A mom never begins her journey fully understanding what is to come. Baby books give us an idea about technicalities, but information about gas, ear infections, and bed time only account for about 10% of what I would call motherhood. The pleasure of watching your child grow and mature into a unique human being, challenging them to be the best little person they can be, encouraging them though you see the same deficiencies in them that you see in yourself...that's the 90%. A grueling, joyful, crucial, exhilarating and most of the time downright fun 90%.

(PS All the parenting challenge and fun aside, here's a pic of Dave & I enjoying our first of many school year lunch dates. Fabulous In & Out. Yeah, I know I said I love my kids, but time alone with this stud...hey, it doesn't get much better than that!)



No comments:

Post a Comment