I love film. It moves me. It challenges me to see the world in a different way. The stories nudge my heart. Some stories that I experience I can relate to, others provide insight into a life I might not otherwise know, had it not been for film.
And in each film there seems to be one or two pivotal scenes that challenge me differently than others. Their unique perspective stings. My heart is pricked and prodded. My life is enriched.
I started thinking recently about the scenes in film that have moved me the most over the years and I thought I'd share them with you here. My hope is that if you haven't already seen these films you will.
**Spoilers ahoy!**
Love Actually (2003) This may well be my favorite movie scene of all time. Emma Thompson's realization of her husband's infidelity during the holidays while trying to gather herself for the sake of her children is set to the haunting soundtrack of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now". It gets me every time.
Lost in Translation (2003) One of my top 3 favorite movies of all time. The words Bill Murray whispers into Scarlett Johansson's ear are both mysterious and I imagine beautiful. I love this film.
The Color Purple (1985) Anyone with sisters should see this film. Near the end of the film the sisters are reunited after decades apart. The scene in which they reconnect is simply gut-wrenching.
Toy Story 3 (2010) A beautiful film about friendships that last till the end. Wouldn't it be nice to leave this world in the comfort -- holding the hands -- of those that love you most? I like to suppose that is the desire we each have.
Poseidon Adventure (1972) I saw this film for the first time when I was just a little girl. It was the first time I processed (alone) what the sacrifice of a life really means. This scene has stayed with me to this day. (I also love Gene Hackman and am very sad that he is retired as an actor.)
It's A Wonderful Life (1946) Of course a must see every Christmas time. My favorite scene happens near the beginning of the film when young George Bailey listens to his gut and in effect ends up saving Mr. Gower's life. After a beating on George's bad ear Mr. Gower's heart gasps at what horror could have been. Later in the film Mr. Gower is happy to repay the favor to adult George.
Before Sunset (2004) I'm a huge fan of Julie Delpy's films Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, 2 Days in Paris & 2 Days in New York. One of my favorite scenes of all time is when Julie's character serenades her long lost love Jesse. At the end of her song she ad libs in tune: "Baby, you are gonna miss that plane." Jesse simply replies: "I know." And assumedly romance ensues. (We'll see! The third movie in the trilogy, Before Midnight, is supposed to be released this year!)
I Am Love (2009) Tilda Swinton stars and speaks Italian in this beautiful film about a wealthy Italian family. My favorite scene is a passionate embrace between two women who have a deep platonic love for each other and who must part ways. The physicality of their hug is as brutal as it is heart felt, and easily experienced by the viewers as well.
Finding Nemo (2003) I've come to believe the ideal for every film is that it should have it's own "Dory" moment. Dory the fish, her innocence is also often profound. I love the moment, when trapped in the mouth of a whale, that she challenges her friend Marlin's overprotectiveness of his son, Nemo. When Marlin informs Dory he swore never to let anything happen to Nemo she smartly replies: "That's a funny thing to promise. Well, you can't never let anything happen to him, then nothing would ever happen to him." Quite brilliant actually.
And just for fun...
Pineapple Express (2008) Dave and I still laugh when we think about the scene with James Franco's foot sticking out of the windshield. It's not the world's best comedy, but it's worth watching if for only this hilarious moment.



No comments:
Post a Comment