I asked Dave recently to help me come up with a list of the movies we’ve appreciated most over the past decade or so that meet this criteria. If you haven’t seen these films, when you have time please do. And remember what Rob Bell says: everything is spiritual.
Redemption without resolve means there isn’t a bow at the end of the film; the story isn’t tied up neatly. But the characters’ hearts are transformed. As my pastor says: A paradigm shift occurs. The characters experience pain, disappointment and loss. Maybe they didn’t get the girl, the baby or even their physical lives. But what matters most is that in the end they got themselves.
(I listed the films in order of year of release and not necessarily in order of preference.)
Lost in Translation (2003) This is one of my top 3 favorite movies of all time. The journey Bill Murray and Scarlett Johanssen’s characters take with each other during a very brief period while tiptoeing around their sexual tension is beautiful. I love this movie.
Junebug (2005) A man brings his new wife home to meet his somewhat dysfunctional family. Before he returns to his own life he sings a hymn at a church potluck. Amy Adams is brilliant and one of our favorites from The Walking Dead, Scott Wilson, co-stars.
The Family Stone (2005) This wonderful film changed the way I think about my children. I learned that it will ultimately be better to open my mind towards them and their choices, because truly the only other alternative would be to close my heart.
Once (2006) A young musician is able to sacrifice his desires at the same time he’s able to puruse his dreams. The music and the story for this film are both simple and passionate.
The Darjeeling Limited (2007) Anyone who has journeyed to rid themselves of their baggage should definitely see this film. Jason Schwartzman, Owen Wilson & Adrien Brody are a fantastic trio of brothers dealing with their mother after the loss of their father.
The Diving Bell & The Butterfly (2007) This film is based on the true story of Elle magazine editor Jean-Dominique Bauby. Redemption via the blink of an eye. There is no resolve however as Jean-Dominique is sentenced to death by a devastating stroke that results in “locked-in syndrome”. (The first several minutes of the film seeing the world from Jean-Dominique’s perspective, through only one eye, stays with me to this day.)
The Visitor (2007) I’ll forever be a fan of actor Richard Jenkins after seeing this film. He plays a reserved man ready to take a risk. He learns to play an instrument and finds love and friendship.
Lars & The Real Girl (2007) Lars asks his friends: “Um, is there something I should be doing right now?” Sally reassures him: “We came over to sit.” Hazel pipes in: “That's what people do when tragedy strikes.” Sally: “They come over, and sit.” Ryan Gosling’s best performance to date in my opinion.
Rachel Getting Married (2008) I’m never one to turn away from a story about the complexity of the relationship of sisters. Anne Hathaway and Rosemarie DeWitt play their parts beautifully; sisters trying to figure out their relationship years after a family tragedy. The music and cinematography are also highlights of this brilliant film.
Honorable mentions
The Birdcage (1996), Henry Poole is Here (2008), Zombieland (2009), Hesher (2010)
While these post-scripted four movies did not make my original list they are lovely films that I highly recommend everyone see. I’m particularly impartial to “The Birdcage” (also please see the original French version from 1978 “La Cage aux Folles”). Zombieland is just really a lot of fun and Hesher, albeit at times vulgar, has a deeply moving story. Luke Wilson does a particularly good job in Henry Poole is Here, a story about a man and his faith.

No comments:
Post a Comment