Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fruit for Generations

Sunday night my firstborn, Luke, was baptized. Luke is 9 years old. He's a fantastic 9 year old, full of life and everything that I suspect most 9 year old boys are. He's been raised in the church since birth and as of Sunday night began his own faith journey. Until that moment, I believe his journey was mine for him. If that makes sense. His journey was my prayer, my hopes and dreams, my fingers crossed. But Sunday night he claimed his own faith. He gave his life to Christ in front of our family, our friends and our church family. I felt God tell me that now I should surrender Luke completely to Him. Luke truly was His - God has a plan for Luke and I need to let him go.


(Luke was baptized by our pastor, Anthony Flores - Adventure Community Church, Fresno, CA. My husband Dave is also there to lend a hand. Special thanks to sister Erma Martinez for the video.)


The next day my mom reminded me of the story about her own baptism. Here's an excerpt from her email.

"I was probably about 5 months pregnant with you. I think that is correct because I was finally showing. I was going to church, alone and I was also in a bible study alone with much older people and I somehow knew I should be baptized before my little baby was to be born."  

You see my mom wasn't raised in a Christian home. She was called by the Holy Spirit "to be in church". No one supported her as she sought out her faith. Not my dad, not her family. (My mom writes: "What I remember most, and most painfully, is that when I asked my mother to go to church with me to see my baptism, she said no.") My mom persevered for her faith even when she was alone. And it was not without reward!

Luke's baptism was sacred not only because it allows him to, as he says, start a new life. It was also holy because it was the fruition of the Holy Spirit's calling on my mom's heart decades ago. She listened to the calling, she came to faith in Jesus Christ, she passed her faith on to me and now we've passed this faith on to her grandson. 

The truth is, you are creating a legacy. It's not a romantic familial euphemism, it's reality. When we listen to the Holy Spirit's prompting, when we obey God's call, there will be fruit. Fruit for generations.


(Here's a picture of my mom Gloria Ward, Luke & my stepdad, Les.)

No comments:

Post a Comment